Feb 6 2018
As you may recall we do a charity drive each year to provide a scholarship for young and struggling fantasy artists. This year we did something a little different, hiring artists to provide a good stock of art to increase the viability of the project in the future. All profits go to the next year’s scholarship.
One of these artists is Keith McMurran, whose work will be being put up for sale over the next few days.
The first of these is a cleric, suitable for old school RPGs and more lighthearted work with a style reminiscent of Phil Foglio. Download it HERE.
McMurrans work can be found in a gallery on Deviantart, though I feel that the work he has done for us is more representative of his talent.
Feb 2 2018
Inspiration’s thin on the ground these days, but when Liana Kerzner went on a D&D parody tear on Twitter about her demonic alter-ego Beelzeboob, I got a wild hair up my arse to write up ‘Literally the devil’ for 5e.
Jan 23 2018
We’ve released two catalogues of our all (current) products from across all sales sites.
The first catalogue is of all our products and has everyone in mind. Here you can find every game, every book, every RPG with easy links to take you right to them.
The second catalogue is made with fellow publishers in mind. We have a huge amount of stock art by various artists which can be difficult to navigate on the websites. Here you’ll find it all laid out, with links, so that you can easily flip through, find the pieces you need and add them to your checkout without wrangling around in a search engine.
Jan 17 2018
I’ve had a bit of a spring clean and a re-brand of all my sites. So it seems like a good time to show you where you can find me, contact me, talk to me, bother me with questions and so on.
This is just my social media/website presence, but from this site – at least – you should be able to find everywhere that you can buy something of mine – should you be so inclined.
- My main ‘hub’ website is this one, where you can find most of my links, stores and so on as well as the most regular updates.ch as
- Community support is necessary to make things viable for creators such as myself these days and as such, please consider donating a buck a month to my Patreon.
- My writing/stories website can be found here. Here I talk about stories, writing and issues around it such as censorship.
- I have a Youtube channel where I provide game reviews and discussion, social and political commentary, humour, stories, ‘choose your own adventure’ poll games and more.
- On Facebook I can be found at Postmortem Studios, JGDGames and JDWriter as well as, as myself.
- G+ is still surprisingly active in a lot of ways, you can still find me there.
- There’s a Machinations of the Space Princess group over on G+ as well.
- Of the New Media alternatives, I find Minds.com to be the better one, you can find me there.
- I also run a roleplaying oriented group on Minds which you’re welcome to join.
- If you want to send me questions and queries, I have an Ask.fm.
- If you like random pictures of cats, countryside and me, then Instagram is here.
- My Twitter remains active and can be found here.
Jan 16 2018
Belated happy new year everyone!
Apologies for the delay in updates but on top of long-term illness before Christmas, I was VERY sick over Christmas and into the new year. Since the start of the year, I’ve been working on planning, plotting and making updates to my various sites, logos and so on.
So far we have a new logo (see previous posts) and both the Youtube channel and Patreon have been updated – with more spring cleaning to come on this site and on the various social media channels I have elsewhere in the coming weeks.
There’s more and more stock art coming both from our regular, Brad and from a whole bunch of artists donating or being paid to contribute to the Darkzel scholarship project, so keep an eye out for that. You can find our stock art catalogue here.
We’re also working on PDF catalogues of EVERYTHING we’ve done, which can be a lot easier than directly browsing various websites to find it. This should be especially useful when it comes to clipart. We’re also bundling chunks of clipart into downloadable multi-piece bundles, again to try and make things easier for you.
More Gor material should be coming, plus we’re in talks to extend the license so you can look forward to more Gor adventures and supplementary material moving forward.
Preparation is in process for a crowdfunded project later in the year, but I am trying to keep my ambitions relatively small given the continued health issues. That said, I’m considering finishing the Machinations of the Space Princess companion, producing MotSP oriented material and optional rules for Starfinder, producing a ‘choose your own adventure’ book and releasing the start of a new mini-series of survival games I’ve been working on – on and off – for some time.
Then there’s the post apocalyptic diary-novel I need to finish…
To let you know about some policy changes around here…
- Discounts will now ONLY be available to Patrons at my Patreon page – even just at the $1 tier. So if you want to continue to get discounted material, consider supporting me over there.
- Opportunities for playtesting and rough drafts will also initially be offered over on Patreon, so if you want to get in on some of that, please be my guest.
- I’m continuing to shift into video, even producing a poll-based ‘choose your own adventure’ over there, so you really should subscribe to my Youtube channel. I’m also happy to answer your game/indie related questions on the channel, live or in the comments. If you want to keep up with me, I make Youtube content almost daily. If you can’t stand Youtube you can also find my videos at Bitchute.
- Social media is having a lot of issues of late and so I’ve sought to diversify a bit. Vidme went under and Gab, despite being independent has developed a ‘hard-right’ reputation, but I can recommend Minds.com which is developing into a nice little site. You can find me there, and I also run an RPG group there which I invite you to join and contribute to.
Now, you tell me! What do you want to see here, and how can I entice you to support me on Patreon?
Jan 10 2018
The ZelArt Scholarship fundraiser has paid out and combined with the private donations there’s about $600 to play with. As I’ve covered, this year we’ve done things a little differently. To increase the sustainability of the project and the scholarship, this year the money will be going to as many art commissions as possible to be sold as stock art to support the scholarship into the future.
To that end, I am now looking for artists to commission.
I would prefer, still, to hire artists who are at school, college or university or who need the money due to some hardship or necessity. I’d still like to help people, even doing things this way around, as much as possible.
- Obviously, the cheaper people can provide work the better, as we can get more work to sell. That said here’s what we’re looking for…
- Original content – you can provide suggestions or we can.
- Fantasy, science fiction, horror, post apocalypse, steampunk, modern cop/spy/soldier, occult and other genre material.
- Characters, weapons, ships, vehicles, anything that fits. Spot-art for pages would also be good, several smaller pieces (like spot art) on a page would also be acceptable.
- Quarter, half or full page at 300-600 dpi, colour or black and white (B&W sells better).
- We’re opening up to cosplayers too, the same sorts of requirements apply and your content must be original. There isn’t the money to commission costumes or shoots, but you would be helping a good cause and making a little bit of cash!
Commissioned art will be paid on completion and your contact details and portfolio link will be included as part of the stock license. This means that any company or individual using your art will be given your information and must include it in any products that they produce. ‘Exposure’ has a bad rep, with good reason, but on top of being paid it can’t hurt!
If any artists want to DONATE art, they can also do that and it would be greatly appreciated. We’re open to that all year round.
Contact HERE for more details or to put yourself forward.
Jan 10 2018
And this is the (almost certainly) finalised version.
So on to rebranding the sites and pages, some of them using this logo!
Jan 9 2018
I’d appreciate any feedback again.
You can see an optional bevel on one of the images on the dark background.
The red background I’m not sold on, but it was suggested.
The quill has been moved and given a dark surround against the red.
Font choice has been narrowed.
Jan 8 2018
Trying to get back to the ol’ gothic roots, and I like the ‘worn’ aesthetic. I do a redesign and rebrand every few years and it felt like it was time. The design’s derived from funerary heraldry.
What do you think? Which designs and which fonts do you like best?
Sometimes the simplest option is the best…
A marble background is a little more visually interesting, but at print size could look ‘grubby’.
The written word is common to almost all my enterprises.
Dice are important, but I feel like it throws the design off balance.
Or there’s always overkill…
Dec 12 2017
I know, I know, I’m late. It has been a busy and stressful month.
For starters, go check out Clipart Critters, this image is one of many by Brad McDevitt, our main resident stock art provider.
If you want to get a SUPER bargain and a ‘start up package’ for your publishing business we offer a 400 IMAGE BUNDLE for a mere $200.
If you’d like to share a storefront to sell stock art, do get in touch.
Speaking of art, we’re still running the Zelart scholarship fund, this year the money is going into making the project sustainable in the future, directly commissioning artists to produce material to sell to support it in the future. We’re still short about $140 of the target so, hey, if everyone reading this could lob in $5 we’d be sorted. Come on, it’s Christmas.
The other things you can do to help, besides sharing the link, if you’re an artist is to donate a piece of art to be sold as stock art to support the project. You’ll get ‘exposure’ (worthless, I know) but you’ll also be helping out a new generation of genre artists.
The reason I’m late is that I have, basically, been depressed, fatigued and unproductive for the last few months and reviewing that I have accomplished basically fuck and all in that time is depressing. I have applied for assistance (after ten years of illness) and had my interviews and assessments at the beginning of this month and the end of last month.
That was also exhausting and horrible.
If I get approved that will take away some of the financial pressure and one of the last major ‘background’ stress areas of my life and hopefully allow for a new period of recovery.
I’m trying to think of small things I can do to retain and interest my audience on various platforms, but all I really have the energy and enthusiasm for at the moment is the Youtube channel.
For gaming and story enthusiasts I’m currently running a poll-determined ‘Choose Your Own Adventure’ game there, based on my Machinations of the Space Princess game and universe. So check that out every Friday.
Because I’m so late, and because it’s Christmas. Have some free sexbots!
Patreon supporters get more discounted stuff and easy access to me to ask me stuff and to make suggestions.
Now, I appreciate that Patreon’s recent changes regarding charges etc have put people off, so I’m now also on MakerSupport, but cannot – currently – offer anyone using that to support creators anything special. You can also donate to keep my going via Paypal.
At the moment this support should be considered support mostly for my Youtube channel but I’m going to try and ease back into work after Christmas and see how things go.
When I’m fit and well again – fingers crossed – or at least well enough to get something done, I plan to primarily get back on the regular Gor releases. After that I hope to crowdfund a major dark-fantasy project at some point in the late spring or early summer. An adventure-filled necropolis and set of alternative rules for 5e D&D.
I’m also considering a company rebrand (new logo and style) so may be looking for people to commission for that.
Otherwise things are too up in the air to predict.
I do want my Youtube channel to better serve my writing and gaming audience, so let me know what you want to see. More book walk-throughs? Streamed gaming sessions? Discussions? Tutorials on indy game publishing and game design? Tips and tricks? Art direction? Player and GM tips?
Let me know.